Vice President, Utility Development
Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
About the Role
Amp is looking to add a senior resource to its team in the role of Vice President, Utility Development, being responsible for planning and executing utility-scale solar and energy storage development activities for Amp across the US. This role works closely with Amp’s functional groups to analyze policy reports and market trends, review financial modeling outputs and assess individual market characteristics to make decisions on new and continuing development activities for large scale solar and storage projects. This role receives support from Amp’s internal and external resources including policy, engineering, financial modeling, project finance and development. The VP, Utility Development must be able to organize and motivate these teams to provide the necessary information to make informed investment recommendations and manage Amp’s active development portfolio.
This role reports to the EVP, Head of USA.
- Lead the development and execution of Amp’s utility-scale solar and storage strategy in the US market.
- Identify market geographies and segments most valuable to Amp and prepare investment recommendations for senior management review.
- Understand dynamics related to green hydrogen and develop a US-based strategy for identification and execution of the same.
- Determine the most effective market entry options allocating internal and external resources appropriately.
- Identify in-market resources where necessary and negotiate service contracts.
- Set permitting and approval strategies that are state and project specific the work with Amp’s development team to bring those projects to construction-ready.
- Present project plans for approval at town meetings for Amp projects under development.
● Originate and negotiate offtake contracts with utilities, coops, municipalities, corporate buyers and others for Amp’s development projects.
- Have a deep understanding of available financial hedge products and other revenue structuring options to manage risk and allow for financing with the ability to negotiate and execute the same.
- Forecast future costs by project and market.
- Leadership – Significant experience and abilities in leading cross functional teams, in advancing complex projects or transactions from preliminary evaluation to transaction closing.
- Ownership – drives people, process and operations of the department.
- Technical Expertise – Impressive track record and experience in originating, developing, negotiating and structuring renewable energy projects
- Relationship Management – Passion and commitment to partnering with leaders/stakeholders at all levels.
- Negotiations – ability to present and discuss strategies and technical information in a manner that establishes rapport, influences others and gains support;
- Confidentiality – Able to maintain confidential business and employee information.
- Agile – Able to navigate multiple projects often occurring simultaneously with quick turnaround requirements. Strong business acumen; ability to quickly assess the potential value, risks and returns of a business opportunity and prioritize development and acquisition opportunities.
- Strategic – A strategic thinker with ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to communicate with customers, associates, and executive clients/partners.
- Post-secondary degree in Law, Engineering, Business, or related discipline.
- Ten or more years of progressive experience in energy project development and/or construction.
- Experience with, and thorough understanding of, the development of utility PV and energy storage systems with a proven history of successful execution.
- Legal eligibility to work in the United States and travel through the US and Canada.
Please send your cover letter and resume in one PDF document to HR@amp.energy with this subject line: Application for Vice President, Utility Development, USA – Your Full Name.
Applications will be assessed as received and the position filled once a suitable candidate has been identified. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Amp is an Equal Opportunity Employer.