Intermediate Electrical Engineer
About the Role
Amp is seeking an Intermediate Electrical Engineer who is eager to contribute his/her expertise to design cost-effective renewable energy projects across the globe, with particular emphasis on the US market. The selected candidates will design and develop engineering packages for renewable energy solutions using company standard design tools, and will conduct work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria. Partnering with a number of stakeholders including suppliers, business development, and operations teams, this role reports to the Senior Director, Design & Engineering.
Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. At this time, Amp will not support a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
- Participates in communicating and setting job expectations for electrical engineering and solar design staff, including planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions
- Review and comprehend the technical requirements of Utilities to set standards related to the quality of engineered designs and provide a complete interconnection design package
- Conducts site visits to understand the customer’s needs, evaluate site conditions, determine system specification and connection details, and identify the location(s) of equipment and interconnection to the site’s existing electrical system
- Coordinates and conducts feasibility assessments to make technology recommendations based on project site location and geographic conditions and identify the most cost-effective Solar PV designs and innovative solutions for customer facilities
- Calculates and designs electrical system string sizing, combiner box, and inverter loading based on purchaser energy requirements, equipment selection, and site constraints
- Develop AutoCAD-based Engineered designs and single line diagrams (SLD) for a variety of Solar PV and Energy Storage Systems projects
- Support the Development team through the interconnection application process by providing all the technical requirements for interconnection applications
- Ensure timely project delivery in accordance with applicable codes, standards, regulations, procedures, and established project quality plans and performance criteria.
- Interface with Vendors, Utilities, Owners Engineers, and other third parties
- Support Energy Assessment teams by conducting the detailed calculation of system losses and providing design optimizations to reduce the overall energy loss
- Reviews, assesses and approves engineered electrical and solar designs completed by employees of Amp and firms hired by Amp
- Incorporates asset management analyses and data into the new developments to improve the design and installations
- Provides expertise in creating standardized engineering drawings for PV systems layouts; structural supports; and electrical systems
- Identifies a Bill of Materials (BOM) for Solar PV projects.
- Supports permitting efforts with municipalities and utilities.
- Provides technical direction to clients during start-up, testing, PV system commissioning, and performance monitoring
- Provides technical support during Operations and Maintenance
- 3+ years relevant work experience in PV design or engineering for commercial and/or utility solar projects, including providing or reviewing drawings for solar construction or related projects.
- A P. Eng license is preferred, but not mandatory.
- Must understand Solar PV electrical concepts, Energy Storage Systems, codes, layouts calculations, and equipment sizing
- Extensive knowledge of output, performance, and reliability factors of various commercially available PV modules, inverters, and Energy Storage Systems
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code and other relevant industry codes and standards (NEC, CSA, IEEE, NFPA, ANSI, IEC)
- Excellent working knowledge of layout and design tools used in Solar PV projects with the ability to draft, read plans and provide design guidance to junior level designers
- Some level of hands-on construction experience
- Field experience in installation, start-up, and commissioning desired
- Familiarity with review/design of instrumentation for data acquisition systems
- Highly proficient in reading and interpreting all design, development, and
construction documents, specifications, and bids, and recommending necessary changes or additions
- University degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical discipline is required
- Degree or Certificate in Solar Design and/or Engineering is an asset
- Registered or Eligible to be registered with PEO
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook required.
- Proven AutoCAD and other graphical skills.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) as you will be working in a team environment.
- Highly organized and skillful at working on multiple projects simultaneously with the ability to prioritize multiple and often competing activities
- Good Project Managements skills; Self-motivated and committed to excellence, with a ‘can do’ positive attitude.
- Exceptional attention to details
- Shall have ability to work under the pressure and meet tight deadlines